Our Adoption Story

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Why behind the 'Why'

We decided to revamp the look of our blog for fun and also change our name. We choose the name "Why it Matters" for a few different reasons.

Jesus says in Matthew 10 that "if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

As a mom, I have been struck by that verse on so many levels, but one idea that constantly shapes the way I parent and the way I see motherhood is the concept that every day that I serve and love Miles is a spiritual act of worship. Every cup I refill, every diaper I change, every nose I wipe, every hug and kiss I give, every story I read, and every direction I give is an act of worship to God. That Jesus even says a cup of cold water, a single cup of cold water given in my name matters. It really matters. Now I think this verse definitely has context to serving, loving, and giving to children in need all over the world (an area in which Adam and I are continually being challenged), but it's been life-giving to see how much meaning is behind all that we do for our families, what a humbling call. It's so easy to look at people doing amazing feats of worship with their lives like missionary work or a pastor to a successful church when right here, right now, I sit with a little boy who's hungry. I feed him, and Jesus says it matters.

5 comments:

Grant and Jenni said...

Val, you have no idea how encouraging that is to me today! As a stay at home mom now I have to remind myself that changing diapers, comforting tears, dealing with tantrums, etc. is a worthy calling! I liked the way you put it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Josh, Amy, Olivia, Josiah, Girum, Tarikwa, and Taye said...

Nicely put (and nicely illustrated!) and nicely lived

Cindi Clark said...

Wonderful, inspirational thoughts. I agree with my whole heart! Miles is growing up so quickly! I love you all so much and am so proud of you!

Amanda said...

Thank you for this post! It's so true, thank you for reminding us what an incredibly worthy calling parenthood is. Great picture of Miles too!

Jess Gensic said...

Love the new layout and name! I'm so incredibly thankful for you and your perspective. Every time I'm around you, your actions speak this entire post more beautifully than words ever could. I admire you and learn from you daily!