Our Adoption Story

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Jesus Story Book Bible



This Book is amazing! Just wanted to pass along my ranting over this book in case you don't have it yet. I received this childrens' Bible when I was pregnant with Miles about 3 years ago. A very influential woman that I just adore, gave it to me as a gift and wrote on the inside- "dear sweet baby boy, I pray that you grow up knowing Jesus as your hero." I loved what she wrote, but it wasn't until I sat in the rocking chair in the freshly painted nursery with my huge belly and cracked open the book out of curiosity, that I realized what an awesome prayer she prayed for him. You see the author Sally Lloyd-Jones starts the story out by saying;

"some people think the Bible is a book of rules, telling you what you should and shouldn't do. The Bible certainly has rules in it. They show you how life works best. But the Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about what God has done. Other people think the Bible is a book of heroes, showing you people you should copy. The Bible does have some heroes in it, but most of the people in the Bible aren't heroes at all. They make some big mistakes....
No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of heroes. The Bible is most of all a Story....the Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them...at the center of the Story is a baby. Every Story in the Bible whispers his name."

I'm so excited about reading the Bible to Miles through this lens. To teach him what took me a while to understand: that every Story in the bible points to Jesus, our hero who because of his immense love came to rescue us. What an amazing hero we have, a real life "came to save the day" hero.

1 comments:

Josh, Amy, Olivia, Josiah, Girum, Tarikwa, and Taye said...

I'm with Valerie! Get one, and then get one for everyone you know (even if they don't have kids!). A family I love and cherish (who might also have a blog called Why It Matters) gave one to me years ago, and it has meant more to my family than words can say!