Our Adoption Story

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Betsy


Betsy and I have been such good friends for as long as I can remember...I can remember us spending every waking second together with our other cousins and friends during the summers, and oh how fun and exciting when our parent allowed us to sleep over on a school night together! We loved playing dolls, barbies, eating pickles, and capture the flag out side. Bets is a year ahead of me so she always experienced things before I did, middle school, high school, college, lots of "firsts"....first kiss, first date, engagement, marriage, first baby. She always took such time to brief me on what was to come for me, I just remember her speaking with such confidence as she would talk to me about the highs and lows of every new stage in life. I always loved hearing those things through her eyes.

Betsy is a woman of great faith ... she prays with such belief and heart.  She knows and believes that God is in control of her future and life and it's evident that she lives that out.  So when she  received some recent news that she has been diagnosed with M.S. (multiple sclerosis) it has been amazing to see her foundation remain firm. How scary to not know what tomorrow will look like for your life, to not know how this terrible disease will affect you and your ability to talk and walk. I am so encouraged by her love for Christ....sure she is scared, and sure she worries about her boys, but I see a strength in her that is not her own. I just wonder how many times Bets has prayed for certain people in her life to know Christ.  I just wonder how many times she has begged God saying, "by whatever means necessary God, that he/she would know You."  I just wonder how God is going to use this awful thing to bring people to Him. 

So as I think back on our friendship I just get tears in my eyes thinking about how I don't what her to go through this particular "first."  I don't want her to have to tell me how it feels...the highs and lows...I just wish that I could take this one on, that I could be the one to go before her in this one.  It's so hard to trust God with the people you love.

I love the line in the song below that says "If I could see like you do with your perspective view, The fires I’m walking through would look much different, I’d see those difficult days for who they made me become,  And I would count them among All the good things you've done for me."  Oh that Betsy would have the chance to count this among the good things that God has done for her. 


Lyrics by Jill Phillips:
Good things

Every once in a while the world stops spinning enough
That I can take a step back and get the picture
I see the twists and the turns, I see the patterns they form
I see how perfect they are and I remember

All the good things
All the good things
All the good things you’ve done for me

Though the feeling is real I know it’s fleeting to feel
One day I’ll forget you are here and start to wonder
In that season of doubt, You’ll still be showering me
With blessings I can’t see, that can’t be numbered

All the good things
All the good things
All the good things You’ve done for me

Forgive me for my shortsighted look at this world
Where you keep proving that you know what you’re doing

If I could see like you do with your perspective view
The fires I’m walking through would look much different
I’d see those difficult days for who they made me become
And I would count them among

All the good things
All the good things
All the good things You’ve done for me

Please pray for Bets, Nick, Jack and Owen 

1 comments:

Cindi Clark said...

Beautiful thoughts and words...beautiful cousins! We are praying for Betsy and your whole family!

Love,
Cindi